100k RouteMatrix requests -> 7 million Geocoding transactions?

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
rhardy
100k RouteMatrix requests -> 7 million Geocoding transactions?

We just recently purchased the developer business account (200k tx/month) because we needed to do less than 150k requests to the RouteMatrix API each month.  Upon our first batch of calls, we found that after about 100k calls to the RouteMatrix API, it informed us we had used up our limit of transactions.  When I logged into the account and went to the Transaction Report I was surprised to see that it showed we had done over 7 million geocoding transactions, but just over 100k Directions (RouteMatrix) transactions.  If that is accurate, why would it have allowed so many more transactions than our limit?  On the other hand, if, as we had hoped, the limit is based on the number of calls to RouteMatrix, why are we being prevented from making further calls?

Please help.

MQBrianCoakley
If an address is used in the
If an address is used in the route matrix request a geocode is performed to get the lat/lng for that address.   If a lat/lng is used then a reverse geocode is performed by the directions backend unless the doReverseGeocode parameter is set to false.

rhardy
Thanks for the info about

Thanks for the info about geocoding.  We will only use lat/long in all our calls moving forward and we'll be sure to set doReverseGeocode = false.

But can you help me understand why would it allow us to perform 7 million transactions when we're only paying for 200k?  And if those geocoding transactions don't count toward our limit, then why is it saying we're over our limit when we try making calls to the API now?  We've only made ~100k calls to the RouteMatrix API.

Thanks

MQBrianCoakley
I'm not sure how you went
I'm not sure how you went that far over yet, but are the route matrix requests averaging around 77 locations per request?

rhardy
One more follow-up to this

One more follow-up to this question:  I just went into the Analytics section of my account and I saw there is something called "Message Count".  When I look at that, it shows that we have just over 200k messages.  Since our account has a limit of 200k transactions, it would seem that the limit on our account is actually these "messages".  Can you clarify what constitutes a "message".  We actually made just about 100k calls to the RouteMatix API.  Does each call to RouteMatrix somehow equal two messages?  

I've searched for any documenation on this, and I'm not seeing any.  So I would appreciate some clarification.

Thanks