Intermittent 403 response

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
Netlift
Intermittent 403 response

Request URL:

http://www.mapquestapi.com/directions/v2/route?from=%7BlatLng%3A%7Blat%3A45.516032%2Clng%3A-73.631783%7D%7D&to=%7BlatLng%3A%7Blat%3A45.516564%2Clng%3A-73.578516%7D%7D&key=my_api_key_here&unit=k&routeType=fastest&doReverseGeocode=false&shapeFormat=cmp

Sometimes, this URL will return a 403 error, with the error message

"This is not a valid key. Please check that you have entered this correctly. If you do not have a key, you can obtain a free key by registering at http://developer.mapquest.com."

And sometimes it will return results, as expected.
I tested by manually using curl on the command line, and twice I received that error, and the third time, I received a statusCode = 0, with the expected response. 

The two requests that failed (HTTP header from response):
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2015 14:47:25 GMT
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2015 14:47:28 GMT

And the request that succeeded had:
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2015 14:47:29 GMT

Could someone look into this?

Thanks,

- Guillaume

MQBrianCoakley
We're looking into the
We're looking into the intermittent 403. Looks like someone is out of sync. I suspect this will be resolved quickly. (Don't quote me on that...)

harshjain30
Facing the same problem!

Facing the same problem!

Netlift
Any news (what is the issue,

Any news (what is the issue, when it should be fixed)?

I have already implemented retry logic in my code, to work around this issue, but would still like this resolved ASAP.

Thanks.

MQBrianCoakley
I'm unable to recreate this
I'm unable to recreate this any more. Are you still seeing issues?

harshjain30
Unfortunately, yes!

Unfortunately, yes!

jyotsna
Seeing the same problem

We have a paid subscription (under another account) and are also seeing flakiness in the API request.  One out of two or three requests fails.

MQBrianCoakley
Does this issue happen all
Does this issue happen all day long or just during a specific time period? I am not able to recreate this issue at all.

harshjain30
Has happened everytime I

Has happened everytime I tried it. The error rate is about 30% I would say. Please fix this!

newcommunities
Hi, 

Hi, 

We are facing the same issue also. The same direction search will work a few times and then the same search will fail and produce this error message: 

"This is not a valid key. Please check that you have entered this correctly. If you do not have a key, you can obtain a free key by registering at http://developer.mapquest.com.";

There does not seem to be any pattern. Based on others feedback I'm assuming that it is a problem with the MaqQuest API. I would appreciate any updates as we are currently building a new software application and we are using MapQuest for direction information.

Regards, 
Andrew

MQBrianCoakley
Where is everybody
Where is everybody geographically located?

harshjain30
Los Angeles

Los Angeles

karen
Seattle

Seattle

newcommunities
I'm based in Adelaide,

I'm based in Adelaide, Australia. 

Our other developers (who are also experiencing this problem) are based on Melbourne (Australia) and Shenyang (China).

newcommunities
Hi MQBrianCoakley, 

Hi MQBrianCoakley, 

Do you have any news for us yet? 

Also, does your forum software provide a way to receive an email notification when this topic is updated. I can't find an option for this anywhere. I'm currently having to check this link a couple of times a day to see if there have been any updates, which is obviously a bit of a pain! 

Thanks for your assistance. I look forward to getting an update from you soon. 

Cheers, 
Andrew

newcommunities
Any news Mapquest? Everything

Any news Mapquest? Everything is very quiet?

The problem continues! 

Should we be looking for a new directions service for our software? 

MQBrianCoakley
Still working on this one.
Still working on this one. Sorry for the delay.

Netlift
Still having this issue too.

Still having this issue too. From Montreal or AWS East.

Netlift
Is there any way for us to

Is there any way for us to know or enforce which servers would be hit by our API calls, as a way to debug what server(s) our requests are failing with?
Maybe we could resolve the hostname ourselves, and hit the IP address with our requests, and log the result and the IP we used..?

Resolving the hostname on my workstation and staging servers, where the requests often fail, I get 207.200.103.5 and 205.188.201.198 respectively.

MQBrianCoakley
Thanks for the additional
Thanks for the additional information.

MQBrianCoakley
We're still unable to
We're still unable to recreate the issue. Can you post a specific url that is failing?  

newcommunities
Hi MQBrianCoakley, 

Hi MQBrianCoakley, 

Here is a sample of the code we are using: http://codeshare.io/4FpN0

The URL we are calling is http://www.mapquestapi.com/directions/v2/route

Regrads, 
Andrew

Netlift
The URL in my first post is a

The URL in my first post is a good example.

Right now, www.mapquestapi.com resolves to 205.188.201.198 on both my workstation and staging server, and I can't reproduce the issue on either.

On two other PROD servers, the same hostname resolves to 64.12.106.130, and I can't reproduce the issue there either.